I can’t tell you how great it feels to blog. I keep taking these huge sighs of relief.
All last week I wanted to check my blog for my menu, how lost I felt.
Woohoo! The Menu!
- Monday – Veggie Soup and Challah bread
- Tuesday – Lentil Stew * recipe follows*
- Wednesday- Beef & Barley Soup *recipe follows*
- Thursday- Beans & Rice and Cornbread
- Friday – Crispy Tacos
this recipe is from the More-With-Less Cookbook
Rinse a 1 lb bag of lentils, anycolor. Bring to a boil and simmer them with
- 5 or 6 cups water
- 2 beef boullion cubes
- 1 bay leaf – all good soups and stews need this ;)
- 1 tsp. salt
for about 20 minutes.
- 1 lb cooked meat ~ ham, sausage, beef, whatever.
- 2 cans tomato paste
- 4 cups water
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 – 40 minutes. I like to serve this over rice to make a whole bunch of full tummies. Cornbread or dinner rolls are good with this.
Billy Bones would eat this every day, it’s a real favorite of his.
Beef & Barley Soup
this recipe is from the Fix It & Forget It Crockpot Cookbook
- 1 lb ground beef, browned
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cans (14 oz) beef broth
- 28 oz can tomatoes, diced or whatever you like
- 3 carrots, sliced kinda thin
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- ½ cup barley (I ♥ barley!)
- 1 bay leaf, I’m tellin’ ya, it’s in all the good soups and stews!
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- 2 tsp salt
Throw is all in the general direction of your large crockpot, turn it on high and don’t give it another thought for 3 hours. Return to the pot and consider stirring or turning it to low. Don’t look at it again until the carrots are tender. Sometime during the day you might want to start some bread in the machine, because the combo of homemade soup and homemade bread is gonna score you a jillion “Wife/Mom (or Dave) of the Year” points!
Here’s your shortcut back to Menu Plan Monday.
And Kitchen Tip Tuesdays.
No related posts.