There’s two things that I don’t like about having kids.
- the tummy bug
- stickiness, esp. when it’s on me
That’s it. I can live with the rest of it. So you can understand why I have never before in my life made popcorn balls.
Don’t wanna touch ‘em. Sure don’t wanna eat ‘em. So what on earth possessed me to make them today?
Just somethin’ about that face!
It was lots easier than I thought it would be. And my hands feel great now that I have washed them… twice.
- 1 dishpan (almost) full of popped corn
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup butter + another ¼ cup for greasing your hands later
- 1/3 cup water
- Pop the corn, I used 2 batches and I think I should have let the kids eat a few handfuls before I poured the syrup on. Mine were almost not sticky enough to hold together.
- In a medium saucepan combine the rest of the ingredients and stir. Bring to a boil over medium/low heat stirring most of the time. Use a candy thermometer and continue boiling until the syrup reaches 250°.
- Pour the syrup over the popcorn and stir it in.
- Let it cool off for several minutes.
- Lay some waxed paper on the counter. Butter your hands before each ball and start making the balls about the size of baseballs. You kinda have to press ‘em to make ‘em stick good
- Let the peanut gallery have at the last bits in the dishpan.
Here’s your link back to Food on Friday.
And here’s the link back to Frugal Friday.
No related posts.